This project was inspired by a mini quilt seen on Flickr. It was made by Krista of Spotted Stones blog. Then she gave it away!
She used fusible web, but I chose not to. I also wanted mine to sort of look like the pennants were on a clothesline. To that end, I used stitching to resemble the clothespins.
It is backed in white and bound with some striped patriotic fabric. I included some tabs for hanging.
This is hanging on my door in time for the nation's birthday!
Tuesday, June 29, 2010
Monday, June 28, 2010
My aunt had some left over four patch blocks from a quilt she is making for a friend. The prints are feedsack reproductions.
The four patch blocks finished up at 4.5 inches, so I looked in my stash for some similar prints and cut 24 squares of the same size. I sewed them together in an alternating pattern.
I found some yellow for the border. I chose yellow because many of the feedsack prints had yellow in them. This yellow is a little brighter than I like, but at least it is cheerful.
Here it is, pinned and ready to quilt. The backing is white Kona cotton.
Wednesday, June 23, 2010
Tuesday, June 22, 2010
Monday, June 21, 2010
Sunday, June 20, 2010
Julie of Jaybird Quilts designed this wonderful quilt. I loved it so much I wanted to try and make one with some of my favorite fabrics-- the Make Life line from Sweetwater.
Julie's version used solid white for the background and used jelly roll strips in a woven raw-edge appliqué. I used a multicolor print and far fewer strips because I wanted the print in the center to stand out.
I layered batting, the printed background and the jelly roll strips. Then I pinned the jelly roll strips in place and just sewed them down. Later I added the backing fabric, which is just solid white Kona.
The center is free motion stippling and the strips are quilted over the same lines as the raw appliqué step. The machine sewn binding is pieced from additional jelly roll strips, cut in half for a shorter repeat.
After I washed it, there were lots of scruffy threads to cut. That just lends to the soft texture of this quilt. Thankfully the wrinkles came out and the crinkly goodness came through!
Keeping this one.
Thanks, Julie, for the wonderful inspiration! Your design skills rock!
Saturday, June 19, 2010
Wednesday, June 16, 2010
This finished out at about 44 x 36 inches.
The border, the backing and the binding are all from stash fabric. I can hardly believe how well that piece of fabric totally matched the tones in this charm pack.
The machine quilting is an all over stipple. The binding is pieced with left over strips of the "flashcard" yardage and machine sewn.
This one is going to be listed in my Etsy store.
Monday, June 14, 2010
I had a whole list of things I needed from the fabric/quilt shops, so I went into Cville and visited 2 stores. One was the "real" quilting store and the other was Joann Fabrics.
The quilting store has lots of repro prints, some kids prints, lots of traditional calico type fabrics, and almost NO modern quilt fabric. They did have lots of Christmas fabrics. I asked the helpful sales lady if she had any Plume by Tula Pink and she looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language! She had never heard of that fabric line.
The only Kona solid they had was Snow (off white) and not what I needed. This is the second time in as many months I have visited this shop and not been impressed by what they had available. The inventory is definitely behind the times as far as what is currently being offered by manufacturers. Thank goodness for online sales!
So then I went to Joann's. Now that store gets a bad rap among quilters and sometimes that bad rap is deserved. But not today.
They had 90 inch Kona bright white and the exact Kona bright pink I needed. I also found some Buttercup yellow that I used in my Streets of New York quilt. (I needed more for binding.) I also scored some Kona Coal and Kona Ash. That guy who let me in front of him at the cutting table was sorry he did so by the time my pile was finished.
I was able to get a bobbin winder on sale. I needed this because my Janome TB12 has a really tight hand wheel and when I try to disengage the needle to wind a bobbin I cannot turn it. So the bobbin winds while the needle is speeding up and down going nowhere fast. I do not like it, so bobbin winder to the rescue. Now I can spare the machine's motor and not have to stop and rethread the machine after bobbin winding.
I picked up two queen sized batts of Warm and Wonderful for $15 each. All in all a good day at the fabric store. I came home and wound 6 bobbins full of white thread!
I also worked on a stacked coins quilt top, but the pictures I took came out lousy. I am going to have to iron the flimsy before photographing it again. Maybe tomorrow.
Saturday, June 12, 2010
Thursday, June 10, 2010
For the back, I pieced the left over strip of border fabrics into the center of the white fabric. It adds some interest to an otherwise plain backing. The binding is white Kona cotton and is machine sewn.
My friend was happy to receive it. I was happy to make it for her! (Barbara, enjoy your retirement!)