Sunday, June 20, 2010

Inspired by Jaybird's Quilt

Julie of Jaybird Quilts designed this wonderful quilt.  I loved it so much I wanted to try and make one with some of my favorite fabrics-- the Make Life line from Sweetwater.
Julie's version used solid white for the background and used jelly roll strips in a woven raw-edge appliqué.  I used a multicolor print and far fewer strips because I wanted the print in the center to stand out.
I layered batting, the printed background and the jelly roll strips. Then I pinned the jelly roll strips in place and just sewed them down.  Later I added the backing fabric, which is just solid white Kona. 
The center is free motion stippling and the strips are quilted over the same lines as the raw appliqué step.  The machine sewn binding is pieced from additional jelly roll strips, cut in half for a shorter repeat.
After I washed it, there were lots of scruffy threads to cut. That just lends to the soft texture of this quilt.  Thankfully the wrinkles came out and the crinkly goodness came through!
Keeping this one.
Thanks, Julie, for the wonderful inspiration!  Your design skills rock!
Gale

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments from my readers!