Friday, May 28, 2010

Nautical and Nice Four Patch & Nostalgia Honey Bars


I have two new works in progress this week.

The first one is a framed four patch made with Kona solids and a charm pack of Nautical and Nice by Sandy Gervais for Moda. When I first opened up this charm pack, I thought to make it a chinese coins quilt, but something about it called for a four patch with colorful sashing around each block.

I am going to add some borders before quilting it. It will be a baby or toddler quilt. This weekend I plan to find some coordinating fabric for borders and backing when I take Conner to the big city for his grooming appointment.

The other baby quilt is inspired by a Denyse Schmidt pattern from her book, Denyse Schmidt Quilts. Her Hop, Skip and a Jump quilt found on page 116 is made with red and white fabrics. ( I love this one and fully intend to make one for myself using red and white.)

My baby/toddler version is made with part of a honeybun in the Nostalgia line by April Cornell for Moda and some solid cottons in pink and blue.

Of course, I did not follow Denyse's methods of making templates and cutting pieces to size before sewing. I tore strips of the solid yardages in different widths and then cut them to 22 inches. I cut each honey bun strip in half, jumbled them up on the table with the strips and started sewing them together.
After piecing together strips to get the width I wanted for this baby quilt, I decided that 22 inches for each panel was too long. So I cut them in two parts, flipped them around and sewed the panels back together. This one was so improv that I did not even use the rotary cutter until it was time to square up the edges tonight before snapping these pictures.

I plan to add a border to this one as well before quilting, maybe with the darker pink. The binding will probably be extra strips from the honeybun.
Happy Memorial Day Weekend, folks!
Gale

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments from my readers!