Saturday, April 24, 2010

Nest Strip Quilt in Progress

Last night after a most wonderful nap, I got my second wind and got busy sewing. I had been surfing Flickr and the various blogs I read and saw a picture of a "stacked books" quilt block that I loved.
I immediately knew that I could make one of these with the left over strips of Nest fabric I had from making this quilt.  Nest is one of Tula Pink's fabulous collections and I love both the birdiness and the vibrant colors.
In addition to the Nest fabrics, I also had some coordinating Kona cotton solids cut to 2.5 inches. I got out some white Kona cotton and started ripping strips of the same width.
At that point I started improvising. I pulled out pieces of Nest and sewed them to a white strip on both ends. Then I cut the white strip in two making sure that there was white on each side of the colored strip. Once I had used up all my white strips, I started sewing them together.  I got a nice wide panel and decided I needed to keep on going from there.
I looked at my shrinking pile of Nest scraps and started to piece them together, coin quilt style. Then I went to bed.
This morning I trimmed those rectangles and sewed them to more white cotton to make another panel for this quilt.  At that point I decided to start making the quilty sandwich in two parts. This would help me do the free motion quilting more easily.
I assembled my sections and pinned them together with batting and backing. On to quilting.
More to come.
Gale

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments from my readers!