Sunday, March 7, 2010

Three Flowers Wallhanging

I started this today after seeing a great wallhanging done by Sheree on FLickr.  I chose 2 fat quarters of a swirly fiesta print in two colorways, purple and red. Freehand, I cut some circles from the red print and some petal shapes from the purple.
I played around with the arrangement of the red and purple pieces until I liked the way the flowers looked. The one in the center is my favorite!
I used a leftover strip-pieced section discarded from another project for the grass at the bottom of a sky blue field. The leaves and stems are hand cut from a deep mottled green cotton.  I tacked them all down with some scraps of Steam-a-Seam to hold them in place until I could stitch them. 

I used Sulky Blendables in 12 weight for the decorative stitching and the free motion quilting of the applique pieces.  It is hard going, even though I am using the recommended needle in the machine. I figure if I keep at it, eventually I will figure it out! (In the meantime, I have ordered the book Sulky Secrets to Successful Embroidery hopes of getting some useful help.)

I will finish this up with some echo quilting around the shapes of the flowers. For the backing I have chosen a section of a vintage navy floral sheet from my scrap pile. Since the blue background fabric is a fat quarter, it will finish up at around 18x22.

Happy Creating!

1 comment:

  1. I love your two flower wall hangings. The scrappy grass is wonderful! And your flowers are delightful.


I love comments from my readers!