To start out I cut a piece of Warm and Natural batting to a comfortable size. By comfortable, I mean two things: small enough to manuever under the sewing machine and narrow enough to be covered using my torn strips.
I went through my fabric stash and pulled out fabrics that looked "Eastery" to me. I ripped off strips of these fabrics and stuffed them into my scrap bag.
Using the batting as a foundation, I strip pieced the scraps in color combinations that pleased me. After making a few different panels of strips, I found a good sized egg pattern using Google images.
I cut out the eggs using my rotary cutter following the outline of the egg pattern. I ended up with quite a few striped eggs.
Then I went through my ribbon and trim stash and pulled out some coordinating colors to use for embellishment. It was easy to tack these trims down using the sewing machine--the hardest part was changing the thread so many times to match colors.
I tore the background fabric to the size I wanted--to be able to get three eggs in a column and pinned the eggs in place. Using a zig-zag stitch I appliqued the eggs in place. The layer of batting under them gives them a more sculptural look.
I got a cute striped Easter fabric at Joanne's this weekend. It makes a great border for these panels. I chose to sew one with the vines closest to the center and the other with the jelly beans closest to the center.
To finish these up I will add batting and a backing and do some echo quilting around the shapes of the eggs. Of course, I will add a hanging mechanism and bind it off. I have some cute jelly bean fabric for the binding.
Have a great weekend! I am predicting mine will be spent feeling sick, as I already have the sniffles and sore throat. Boo!