Saturday, September 26, 2009

Owl in a Tree

This is a piece I am making to contribute to a benefit art show in Farmvegas. One of my coworkers asked if I would be interested in donating a piece to help raise funds for medical expenses for a Buckingham woman who was mauled by her livestock.

This will hang in a local coffee shop with other artworks contributed by local artists and will be sold silent auction style. All the proceeds are going to be donated to the injured lady.




Here is a detail of the quilting on the branches of the tree. This fabric is a wood paneling print which I had in my stash and thought would make a perfect tree. The grain is already printed and just needed a little more stitching with brown thread to make it a perch fit for an owl.




The little owl is cut out from felted wool and hand embroidered. Here it is pinned on to show its final placement.





Here it is with the quilting finished and the owl stitched on. Cute owl!


The tree is trimmed and framed in more of the same wood grain fabric. Before sewing on the owl, I did additional quilting of the background fabric to give it more dimension. This has rings on the back for hanging on a wall.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments from my readers!