Friday, November 26, 2010

Papers and Threads








Last night, while still digesting the Thanksgiving Feast, my aunt and my cousin and I went out on a shopping mission to Michael's.  I picked up a new pad of scrapbook papers and a set of die cut embellishments in a Christmas theme.

This morning I made these ornaments with them.  I used my Sizzix machine to cut out the scalloped squares and lots of circles of many sizes.

I layered the circles and squares with the pre-made embellishments and glued them in place with some Martha Stewart gel adhesive.

After letting them have plenty of time to dry, I added another layer of scrapbook paper to the back, along with a ribbon hanger. I stitched the layers together using my sewing machine.  As some have recommended I increased the stitch length to prevent the paper from ripping.

Sewing layers of paper is not that difficult. The trick to remember is to go slowly and to keep your thread ends out of the way as you start to sew. Otherwise, you have a mess to pick out on the back.  I made sure to overlap the beginning stitch point, in some cases, I stitched around the perimeter 2 or three times.

Mostly I use my Sizzix for fabric (and I have even ordered a half square triangle die for it) but you can see it make wonderful paper objects as well!

Yesterday morning I made the first batch of Papers and Threads ornaments using Santa images and more scrapbook paper.  I did not get a chance to photograph them because I took them to Thanksgiving Dinner to show off and my cousin immediately purchased them all.  So those ornaments are on their way to NYC with P.'s family and I will post photos after I make some more of them.

Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful and that you got some good bargains today.



Gale

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments from my readers!