Monday, May 3, 2010

Hello, Gorgeous!

So an important package arrived today-- my new Janome Threadbanger (TB-12.)  I had been thinking about a new machine because the Brother one I normally use is weak on free motion quilting abilities.  I want to be able to quilt full sized quilts on my home machine without fighting to maneuver the fabric under the small throat.
I saw on ROssie's blog that she got a new machine recently- The Janome TB-12. I read her post about why she thought it was a good machine and then did some additional research on that model.  It all sounded good to me.

So I copied her.  I found it for $199.00 online with free shipping. (That is just what I paid for the Brother machine a year ago.) I splurged on a metal free motion quilting foot ($30--eeks) with a wide open area that allows me to easily see the place in which I am quilting. Cannot wait to try that out.

This machine is heavy and smaller than my old machine. The threading procedure is fairly complicated and I had to do it twice to get it right. It has a metal bobbin case that comes out and uses plastic bobbins.  It has few decorative stitches, but I did not want that anyway. What I wanted was a machine that can handle multiple layers of fabric and heavy use.

Tonight after getting it threaded and reading the manual, I sewed some jelly roll strips together. I will probably finish them into a pillow cover. It sews nice seams and so far I have had no tension issues.
Here's hoping this is the beginning of a long, happy relationship.

p.s. The Brother jammed up last weekend, but I did finally get it working again. I am going to keep it as a backup machine, I think.  How many sewing machines in one house is too many?

Gale

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments from my readers!