Monday, July 27, 2009

Newly Finished Quilts

This quilt was completed from start to finish on Sunday after my nap. I found the center panel in the dish towel bin at the Goodwill. It was wrinkled and in need of a wash and an iron, but I loved the colors of the screen printed design. The towel is 100 percent cotton. I used 5 inch borders of a bright, swirly, yellow fabric from Joann's. I quilted the center panel outlining all the squares in bright yellow thread. The yellow borders were stippled with free motion quilting using my Brother sewing machine.


Here is a detail of the backing fabric. It has a story. I noticed that there was an artist's signature in the design hidden among these abstract and brightly colored fishes. They remind me of guppies. The signature is Ken Done (rhymes with Cone). I had never heard of him before so I did a Google Search. Turns out he is a pretty famous artist in Australia who designs clothing and accessories as well as paints bright scenes of his homeland.

This fabric came from a vintage (80's) custom designed bedding set that I found at an estate sale. There was a duvet cover, large valance curtain panels and a couple of pillow shams. I washed them, took them apart at the seams and ended up with good amount of yardage of home decorator cotton.

Last night when I was pulling out pieces to choose a backing for this cheerful doll quilt I first noticed that some of the fabric was "signed." Just a bit of fabric trivia. If I were a painter I could design fabric too.

This quilt is going to a little girl relative who is visiting her grandparents this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments from my readers!